Gift Aid

Your donations are already life-changing. You can make them go even further through Gift Aid. 

By saying “Yes” to Gift Aid you can help even more women leave domestic violence behind – at no extra cost to you. 

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that has already been paid on donations from UK taxpayers. If you choose to Gift Aid, the government will add an extra 25p to every £1 you give to Solace.  

What more can we do with an extra 25p for every pound donated?  

If you donate £100 to Solace, the Gift Aid donation will add an extra 25% on top of your donation with a total value of £125.  

For example, with an extra £25, we will be able to set a woman up with the essentials she needs to start over when she arrives at a refuge.

All you need to do is tick the box when you donate and we’ll do the rest. This simple step means more support for our life-saving services at no extra cost to you. 

If there’s anything we can help with, please contact us at 

Still have questions? Read our FAQs below or check out the official Gov Gift Aid page here

Download Gift Aid Declaration Form here


What period does Gift Aid donation cover?

Gift Aid declaration will cover all your future donations and also any donations you have made in the previous four years. 

If you are unable to or don’t want to Gift Aid donations for all or some of the previous four years, please contact us on and let us know.

Are all donations eligible for Gift Aid?


Some donations are not eligible, as the tax has already been accounted for, for example: 
•    Donations from a charity account such as Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) 
•    Donations through payroll giving 
•    Gifts from a legacy. 

Do I need to let you know if my circumstances change?


If you stop paying tax, then please let us know and we will cancel the Gift Aid declaration for you and make sure that we do not claim tax on any future gifts you may make. 

You can do this by emailing and letting us know. You can cancel your declaration at any time.

What if I pay tax at a higher rate?

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate, but that is still worth 25% extra on your donations to us.

If you pay a higher rate of tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on your donation. Maybe discuss this with your accountant if you’d like to do this. 

I am self-employed, am I still eligible?

As long as you have paid enough tax during the tax year to cover the amount that charities will claim on all your donations in that year then yes, you can still Gift Aid your donations if you are self-employed.