The Solace Counselling team offers one to one counselling sessions to women, creating a safe space for them to explore the impact of violence on their lives. Experienced counsellors work with women to help them recover from the long term impact of emotional and physical abuse. Our counselling services are delivered as part of the Ascent Advice and Counselling partnership.
We offer one-to-one counselling to victims/survivors of domestic abuse and all forms of VAWG. The service covers 1 assessment and up to 15 counselling sessions. We also offer 6 sessions of pre-trial therapy. Solace Women’s Aid offers this service in 12 London Boroughs, please see the updated waiting list.
o Barnet: Closed
o Enfield: Closed
o Greenwich: Closed
o Hackney : Closed
o Haringey: Closed
o Havering: Closed
o Islington: Closed
o Newham: Closed
o Lambeth: Closed
o Southwark: Closed
o Waltham Forest: Open
Solace Women’s Aid Counselling Service is a specialist emotional support service for women and girls aged 16 and over who are survivors of domestic and sexual violence. We work with women who;
- Have given their explicit consent to be referred to the service
- Have a connection with the following boroughs: Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Havering, Greenwich, Islington, Lambeth, Newham, Southwark (i.e. living, working, education or children’s nursery/school)
- Have been affected by domestic or sexual abuse either recently, currently or in the past. This can mean physical, emotional, psychological, sexual or financial including coercive control and other harmful practices
- Want and can commit to regular counselling or psychoeducational group sessions on a weekly basis, are able to manage their time in order to attend and make appropriate childcare arrangements
- Are not high risk victims of domestic abuse
- Are emotionally robust enough to manage their own safety in terms of coping with possible anxiety or emotional pain that might come up without this posing a risk to their well-being
- Want to make changes happen for themselves and are willing to consider personal possibilities
- Are psychologically well enough to maintain contact for the duration of the time agreed
- Are not currently receiving counselling with another service or about to start soon (not applicable if attending ‘Moving Forward’ psycho-educational group)
- The counselling service is unable to provide crisis intervention or give emergency appointments if a woman is in immediate psychological crisis and potentially at risk. If this is the case, please refer to her GP or to the appropriate Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)
- Are able to attend counselling sessions/assessments in their suitable borough within the counsellors availability (stated below)
If a client is required to attend as a witness in criminal court proceedings for domestic and/or sexual violence; we may be able to provide 6 pre-trial support sessions (it is not recommended for clients to attend counselling or groups due to CPS guidelines).
Ascent Moving Forward Group
The Moving Forward Group is an 8-week educational programme for women aged 16+ who have experienced any form of domestic and/or sexual violence. These groups provide some first steps on the road to recovery from domestic and/or sexual abuse.
A safe space to talk, listen and be heard while gaining emotional support. It gives women the opportunity to share experiences and information and explore and understand the impact of domestic violence and/or sexual abuse and the support to regain power and make positive choices.
We are temporarily closed for referrals.
Monday to Friday 9 am to 2 pm